Little Mountain in the 1600s and 1700s
1600s to the 1700s | 1800s | 1900s to today

Prior
to
1670

Rocky Branch Creek in Little Mountain

The land between the Broad and Saluda Rivers, including present day Newberry, Laurens, Union, and Spartanburg Counties, is used as hunting grounds by the Cherokee.

[Image] Rocky Branch Creek in Little Mountain, Courtesy of the Town of Little Mountain

1670

The first groups of Europeans arrive from the English colony of Barbados to settle the colony of Carolina in Charles Town.

1729

North and South Carolina separate and become crown colonies of England.

1730s

Governor Robert Johnson creates a series of townships throughout the northern frontier to protect coastal interests from Spanish and Indian incursion and to attract European immigrants. Eleven settlements are established along rivers throughout the northern portion of the colonies.

 

In order to attract new settlers, the colonial government promised fifty acres of free land for each family member that settled in the backcountry, a waiver of all rent payments on the land for ten years, and additional funding for their food and transportation.

1740 John Adam Boland, Jr. and Family

German and Swiss immigrants settle near the fork of the Saluda and Broad rivers, including where the city of Newberry is located today. This area becomes known as the Dutch Fork, despite the fact that few, if any, Dutch immigrants settle there.

[Image] John Adam Boland, Jr. and family, Courtesy of the Town of Little Mountain

  It is believed that the term "Dutch Fork" is derived from the German term "Deutsch volk” (meaning "German folk"). When English-speaking inhabitants first encountered the early German settlers, they heard the word "Deutsch” as "Dutch". Because of the nearby fork in the river, "volk” or “folk” was heard as "fork”.
Late
1740s
Map of Lexington District

Thomas Brown, Jacob Derer, Caspar Faust, John Jacob Fridig, John Jacob Geiger, John Hamelton, and John Matthys are among the earliest settlers in the Dutch Fork area.

[Image] Map of Lexington District, Courtesy of the Town of Little Mountain

1750

By 1750, attacks by the Cherokee Indians have become so frequent that further settlement in the upcountry is discouraged by the state legislature.

1759

1,800 German settlers and 1,000 British settlers occupy the Broad River Valley. Several stockade forts including Turner’s Fort and Brook's Fort are built along the Broad, Enoree, and Bush Rivers. Cherokee attacks on towns such as Long Cane and Ninety-Six drive settlers into the forts for protection.

 

One of the first references specific to Little Mountain is found on a land grant to John Crebbs in 1754 for 50 acres of land “on Camp Creek, one of the north branches of the Saludy River near the mountain.”

1760

In May, Colonel Archibald Montgomery and 1,200 regular Scots highlanders march from Charleston with the purpose of expelling the Cherokee from the midlands. Montgomery and his men are ambushed and, after suffering only a handful of losses, retreat from the area. A mass exodus of settlers follows Montgomery’s defeat and many residents flee toward the coast.

1769 South Carolina Divided Into Districts

The Circuit Court Act of 1769 divides the state into seven judicial districts. Ninety-Six, Orangeburg, Cheraws, and Camden Districts serve the residents of the upstate, while Beaufort, Charleston, and Georgetown serve along the coast.

[Image] South Carolina Divided Into Districts, Courtesy of state.sc.us

1775

South Carolina's first Provincial Congress meets to discuss an agreement seeking to prevent the importation of British goods into the American colonies. Residents of the upcountry are dubious because they received their land from the British monarchy through bounty grants.

1780

After the American Revolution begins, the capture of Charleston by the British in May is finally enough to reverse the opinion of many who had remained loyalist. The cruelty exhibited by the British troops toward residents of Charleston anger South Carolinians. A group of loyalists from Ninety-Six District form a militia with six regiments.

 

It has been estimated that in the Ninety-Six District alone there were over 1,400 widows and orphans by the end of the American Revolution.

1785

By the end of the Revolution, Ninety-Six District is too large to govern. The Ninety-Six District is split into Edgefield, Abbeville, Laurens, Spartanburg, Union, and Newberry (then spelled Newbury) Counties.

[Image] Ninety-Six District Divided Into Counties, Courtesy of state.sc.us

1786

The legislature votes to move the state’s capital from Charleston to a new town that will be constructed in a centralized location along the banks of the Congaree River. After a great deal of debate, it is decided that the new town will be named Columbia, a name that symbolizes the new nation.

1787

The Newberry County courthouse begins to probate wills and record deeds, eliminating a trip to Ninety-Six or Charleston to file necessary paperwork.

1790

Newly arrived Christian missionaries begin to establish houses of worship. Church services bring together isolated rural households, helping to establish community identity.

[Image] Original Holy Trinity Church in Little Mountain, Courtesy of the Town of Little Mountain

1794

Eli Whitney’s cotton gin makes it possible to process cotton on a grand scale. This new technology indirectly increases the use of slave labor, causing many in the Quaker community to leave the state.

1600s to the 1700s | 1800s | 1900s to today

Copyright © 2014 Town of Little Mountain, All Rights Reserved
Home Home